Dangers Of Carbon Monoxide!!!


A couple months ago a local Sioux Falls family who had their own experience with this deadly gas, we feel it’s a good time to remind everyone about Carbon Monoxide and the importance of having a Detector.

This local family’s home became filled with carbon monoxide from a malfunctioning furnace, and this poisonous gas began to wreak havoc on those exposed. The family members experienced various symptoms from struggling to breath and unconsciousness to having loss of feeling in lower extremities. So as you can see this is a very serious topic.

Carbon Monoxide, also known as CO, is called the “Invisible Killer” because it’s a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. Approximately 400 people in the Unites States die every year from accidental non-fire related CO poisoning and thousands more fall ill. It cannot be detected by humans without the help of a detector. This deceptive poisoning has symptoms that can mimic the flu and common illnesses. Indicators include fatigue, headaches, dizzy spells, nausea, vomiting and confusion. People can succumb to CO poisoning with very little discomfort. They fall asleep, have loss of consciousness and, in extreme cases, die of exposure.

Easy Steps To Protect Your Family From Carbon Monoxide:

1) Install a CO alarm in the hallway near every area of your home used for sleeping. Replace

batteries regularly (Often CO detectors are ineffective due to dead batteries)

2) Get your heating system professionally inspected and serviced every year, as well as

chimneys and flues.

3) In an attached garage, even if the door is open, do not leave a car running.

4) Don’t operate gasoline-powered engines in confined areas.

5) Don’t use gas ovens to heat your home, even for a short time.

If a carbon monoxide alarm sounds, go outside and call 911 immediately. Do not return to the building until emergency services personnel gives you the all-clear. Detectors should also be replaced on average every 5-10 years depending on the brand. Each CO detector will come with a user’s manual that will list life span specifications, and information on when to replace unit.